Global Warming is happening. When these preachers are saying that the end of the world is near,I say YES, it is coming. The world is going to melt in time. Let’s say 30 years from now. You know why? It is not because some Messiah is going to show up and actualize what is said in the Bible. Apocalypse is happening. Abnormal climate and weather, rising oceans, melting of Arctic ice caps, increasing global temperature and the list goes on and on.
In the Philippines, it is not just Global Warming, it is also about pollution. We have every type of pollution, from noise to water to land. Destruction of tropical rainforest and marine ecosystem is a fact in our country. I can name every environmental problem we have, but it would just ruin my day.
If Global Warming is too big for you to stop, think of your own easy way to help reduce the garbage we produce every year. Be not one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. These are my simple acts that reduce the trash I produce in a year.
1. I bring old plastic bags when buying grocery items. I often ask the bagger not to use too many plastic for my items. And if it just a small thing like a toothbrush of lip balm, I just put it in my pocket.
2. I avoid eating at restaurants that use Styrofoam plates and plastic spoons and forks. When I do, I bring them home and re-use them again. When I put these Styrofoam products in my bag, I just ignore the humiliating looks I get from other customers.
3. I use scrap paper from the office as memo and note reminder. Yes, those stationeries look cute and smell damn good as well, but it is the content of the memo that matters.
4. I use old notebooks.
5. I give away my old bags, shoes and clothes.
6. I buy products in big size. A 200 ml shampoo is more economical than 25 pieces of 8 ml shampoo. You are wasting more time, energy and effort every time you go out and buy a sachet. And it will take the Earth 10 to 15 years to break those 25 sachets down. And don’t forget that you are only one of those hundreds of people buying 25 sachets every month. Do the multiplication and be horrified with the amount of trash we produce by using shampoo alone.
7. Reduce, re-use, recycle, refuse, and RE-THINK. Before buying something, think if you really need it. I do these simple things to help.
The Earth Hour
Why not start on the 29th of March? A global event is happening. It is called “Earth Hour”. It started as a local campaign to increase the awareness of global warming in Sydney, Australia last year. This social activism reduced Australia’s energy consumption by more than 10 %.Now, it is a global event. Countries are joining.
On the 29th of March, 2008, turn off your lights for an hour at 8.00. P.M.
Tell your family, friends, and everyone you know about it.
Blog about it just what
The Meliorist did.
Be a part of history!
So when the “apocalypse” reach us 25 years from now, and the Philippine islands are starting to sink one by one and we are all drowning, I can tell myself that I did my part. Did you?
For more information visit